Tuesday, March 31, 2009

fish-oil and weightloss blog trial

It seems there might be a link between fish-oil and weightloss.

My friend has found this to be true. She started taking daily fish-oil supplements a month ago and has lost weight without dieting or exercising.

I'm not normally into supplements but thought it might be fun to give this a go. Fish oil is also meant to help concentration and do other good stuff for our brains.

Would anyone like to join me? Simply go buy some fish-oil supplements, take them each day and report in when I do the next post about it.

Of course this is highly scientific. The rest of you are the control group. You can report back too.

So, are you in?

8 comments:

  1. I'll do it - I'm meant to be taking them anyway (and keep forgetting to buy them!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simone - this means you'll have to stop exercising, to avoid ruining the trial...

    ReplyDelete
  3. No chance! The exercise I'm doing at the moment is keeping my weight steady. Any loss I'll put down to the fish oil!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "The rest of you are the control group."

    Oh, how I wish research was that easy...

    ReplyDelete
  5. So the fish oil helps you to burn fat more easily, but your body is still going to use the more easily accessible energy you have consumed in the day first (eg. sugars), before it starts using the stored fat. Also if you eat more than you burn, then your body is still going to store it as fat, so even if you are able to burn that fat more easily, you would still need to keep a basic 'energy in' = 'energy out' equilibrium to see any change.

    ReplyDelete
  6. absolutely.

    [Petrina - I thought you'd like my research methods!]

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another problem here is that some brands of "fish oil" contain a whole lot more of the actual omega-3 triglycerides than others (you have to break down the 1000mg or whatever is listed on the bottle into the constituents and look for EPA and DHA) - varies from about 300mg to about 1200 mg according to my research. Further, you actually absorb these things better from food than from the supplements. Eg cod liver oil is very high in the good stuff, but the absorption is lower than from eating fresh fish with lower amounts of omega 3s in them. As you can see, this is my latest food research project! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't understand most of that. How about I just take the fish oil and see what happens...

    ReplyDelete