Friday, January 8, 2010

5 annoying things that people do when preaching on the OT

I rarely preach, and when I do it's pretty much never on the Old Testament.  So I'm well qualified to offer advice to others who do!  Here are 5 annoying things that I've noticed about many OT sermons.  If your sermons are online, I could be talking directly to you here!  They are all linked.

1. Gold mining.  This is when the preachers just picks out a few verses that he/she likes and preaches on these rather than preaching on the entire passage in its context.
2. A-narrative preaching.  Preaching on a passage without placing it in it's narrative context.  What was happening in Israel/Judah at the time this prophet spoke?  How would the original hearers have understood his words?
3. Testament leaping.  Jumping to the New Testament as a short cut for understanding an Old Testament passage.  Look properly at the passage before you, then you will be better able to take it to the New Testament.
4. Stock-Standard application.   Like the cheesey smiles if the istock photo family, pre-packaged general points of application will rarely cut through.  I switch off when I hear the familiar platitudes beginning...
5. Genre-deaf preaching.  Preaching a passage without adequately considering the genre in which it is written.  eg. Preaching the psalms as if they were epistles, the proverbs as if they were law or Song of Songs as if it were narrative.  Bad things happen when genre is ignored.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I think it was a revolution for me when I started to think of the OT as not just about Jesus. So yes, the whole OT points to Jesus. But it's not *only* about Jesus. It's also the Scripture of Israel. It holds the promises and the ethical teaching by which Israel lived. And it can still serve that purpose for the new covenant people of God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 6. Apologise for doing so!

    I'm impressed that you restrained yourself to five.

    ReplyDelete