Saturday, October 31, 2009

top 5 things that I don't do

1. Tax returns
2. Bill paying
3. Car packing
4. Planning for any holiday except our regular trip to Caloundra
5. Yard work

If Andrew died, I'd have no access to cash (my fault, not his), no electricity, no gas and no internet (!). We'd go on the same holiday each year, but everyone would need to gather their own stuff. The yard would be overgrown. Eventually the tax office would catch up with me, but it would take them a while because I wouldn't open the letters they sent.

None of this would be Andrew's fault. But I'd probably blame him anyway for enabling my helplessness.

5 comments:

  1. And none of this counts as Laziness as in #5 in a certain top 5 of don'ts for wives?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am exactly the same. And I often think this too!

    But I comfort myself with the thought that if I died, Sam would have no groceries, eat takeaway, have clothes lying everywhere around the house and never remember to go anywhere or any appointments, or when any assignments are due.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simone, Andrew & I are BOTH pretty useless at doing most of these chores, but we've divided them up in some unconventional ways, relating to who hates which task least... I mow the lawn, Andrew pays the bills! Both still get done less often than they should!
    But this is one of the reasons why I didn't like Mark Driscoll's talk on husbands, when he says that masculinity is all about responsibility. I think maturity/adulthood is all about responsibility... and I think BOTH women and men find ways of avoiding responsibility. In the case of married women, we often hide behind our husbands, and I think some of what MD says about the role of husbands could lead to enabling of that. Having said that, I'm all for the division of labour!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wendy - absolutely.

    soph - mutual dependance!

    jo - Andrew is a champion holiday arranger and packer.
    i put it down to the miss. kids thing - but maybe not.
    responsibility.... I remember to feed the kids and dog everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. But how do we decide the difference between hiding behind our husbands and what is legitimate load sharing?

    ReplyDelete