Wednesday, October 14, 2009

red dresses

I have a thing for red dresses. While I generally don't enjoy clothes shopping, I love red dress shopping. If I pass a shop and there is a red dress in the window, I will go in and try it on pretty much regardless of the cut or cost. Even if I don't buy it (I usually don't) I've had the joy of looking at it, touching it and wearing it - if only for a minute.

Today I went past a clothes shop with a rack of red dresses out the front. After I tried one on I took control of myself and reasoned that I didn't need another red dress in this particular cut. I walked out of the shop with a purple dress feeling like I had done a noble thing.

Do you have an obsession with any colour or article of clothing?


*****
And while we're on colours, the book of Revelation is red and John is purple. Matthew is a sharper colour. Yellow? Bright green?

9 comments:

  1. Actually, Revelation and John are both a darkish red...and Matthew is sort of a Presbyterian blue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm. interesting. I can see why you'd say dark red for R and J. Can't see any blue in Matthew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. See, I have an organised, well-thought out system for working out the colour of Bible books. It depends on the first character of the title.

    Dark Green – 2, D, G, N, S, Z
    Purple – E, I
    Yellow – A, L
    Red – J, R
    Dark Blue – M
    Black - O
    Chameleon #1 (either white or yellow, depending on your mood) – 1, C, P
    Chameleon #2 (either white or purple, depending on your mood) - H

    Exceptions –
    Daniel (Red –possibly the apocalyptic theme)
    1 Timothy (Blue, probably because “T” is a blue colour)
    1 Thessalonians (Dark Green –probably the three instances of “s”)

    What's your system?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you get this.

    I don't have a system. Not an explicit one anyhow. 1 Timothy is definitely blue. Not sure if it's because of the T or the nature of the book. Titus is blue too, though maybe slightly paler.

    1 Thess is dark green. Is it the 'e' sound?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fun...

    The “e” sound as in “egg”? - hm...I can’t say though I think you’re onto something – perhaps a light green? It’s difficult, because it’s not just the individual characters but the way they interact. 1 Timothy, I’m starting to believe, is blue because of the one at the start. 1, when simply looked at, could be white or yellow, as I said before, but when written (or spoken) out it’s blue – possibly it’s something like:

    “one” (Darkness of o + aqua properties from the green + spoken sound of w = dark blue)

    Also the “t” and the “i” together is blue because the blue from the i’s purple cancels out any of the possible overtones of brown that you find in “t”. I agree Titus is lighter. Maybe the double "t"?

    Of course, the character of the book has radical importance. Though I can’t really explain why the character is the colour that it is...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Guys, this is a bit weird!

    Back to clothes - I always gravitate to green, particularly a deep aqua/emerald green. Lately red has attracted also. Pastels repel!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I go for clothes with blue bases, so blue, purple and green - the purple and green are dark, not pale colours, mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. *Considers it*

    Umm... guys...

    *Thinks better of it*

    ReplyDelete
  9. If this makes no sense to you, there's nothing I can say.

    ReplyDelete