Friday, October 30, 2009

Top 5 rules for coping with adversity and leading a less offensive online life

When a bad thing happens...

1. It may feel good to yell the details to the world in a cathartic blog post. Don't do it. It will only make things worse.

2. You may think you'll just write the blog post to get things off your chest but not actually publish it. Mistake. Once it's written, the post will scream out to you 'Publish me, publish me!' It's cries will get louder and louder and more and more unbearable until you hit 'publish'. And don't kid yourself. If you've written the post, you will publish it.

3. If you really need to write something, use paper.

4. If paper doesn't satisfy and you fingers are itching for the keyboard, frame your thoughts in a list.

5. If the list doesn't satisfy, nothing will. Either slit your wrists or break rule 1.

5 comments:

  1. In regards to rule 1, I don't think that yelling the generalities helps either. People then get curious about the details and worry - or just feel icky having just read an angsty, content-less post. And, obviously, if it's done regularly it can be difficult to tell when someone really needs encouragement or is just ranting melodramatically (again).

    As someone who is constantly having to check her status messages for this sort of exhibitionism...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found today's post really helpful and cathartic. I don't think I would have completely realised how stupid my thinking was if I had not posted the first version.

    ReplyDelete
  3. anika - me too.

    Nathan - It's not just writing it that is cathartic - it's putting it out there. Hitting 'publish'. I didn't see it. Which is a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the suicide reference is a bit rugged.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yeah, maybe. Lists do generally work though. Try it.

    ReplyDelete