Saturday, October 31, 2009

top 5 problems with halloween


1. It's an import. Not really part of our culture.
2. The idea of trick or treat is nasty. 'Give me a lolly or I'll do something bad to you!'
3. I'm good with dress ups and make believe, but it is a bit silly if you take it too seriously - as many people seem to.
4. I saw halloween pumpkins on sale for $24 each. This is a rip off. Another shop had the same pumpkins for $10 each. Could the whole event be about money?
5. I felt silly going into Kmart yesterday and buying a book in the twilight series from a checkout girl dressed up in her halloween vampire gear...

3 comments:

  1. Absolutely with you on this one. This is a stupid thing to do in Australia - and it's being driven almost solely by the retail industry. I too had the K-mart experience of being served by someone in fancy dress. Seeing we're playing, can I pay with monopoly money?

    If some kid came up to my front door for Halloween I'd just say "Wrong continent" and slam the door. Hopefully this will cause them to go home and ask their parents what a continent is. It would also be amusing if they misheard me and went and asked their folks "What is "incontinent?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. The idea of trick-or-treat is, quite simply, blackmail; a junior version of stand-over /protection rackets. 20 years later and the kid is saying, "Give me $10,000 or I'll break your arm."

    A friend from church reckons (if she'd been home) she'd have a bucket of water ready - turn the tables - "Give me a lolly or I'll throw a bucket of water at you."

    Yes, it's driven by the retail sector.

    ReplyDelete