Tuesday, September 29, 2009

twenty years

It's been 20 years this month since I heard and understood the gospel for the first time.

I was in year 9 at school. 13, almost 14. I went on a scripture union camp called 'splashout' in the school holidays. We camped in tents, went to the beach, did bible studies and sang songs. I thought it was fantastic. I had never before met people so committed to Jesus.
There were 2 streams of bible studies to choose from - introductory and advanced. Although I had been to church (a very liberal church) most of my life, I thought I should go to the introductory set. My sister chose the advanced stream. Not sure why I chose as I did, but it was a good decision. Our studies were based on John Chapman's book A fresh start, we were taught the gospel incredibly clearly and I had lots of time to ask my thousands of questions.

Before I went to camp I knew I needed to fix up my relationship with God. I thought that I'd learn to be a good person first, and then talk to God after that. By the end of the week I knew that that wasn't the way. I was amazed (and still am amazed) that forgiveness is what God does. It was a life changing few days. Sometime during them, I became a Christian.

Here's a song we sang. Anyone know it?

He paid a debt he did not owe
I owed a debt I could not pay
I needed someone to wash my sins away.

And now I sing a brand new song
Amazing grace the whole day long
Christ Jesus paid the debt
That I could never pay.

Thankful that God has held onto me for this long. Asking for another 60 years or so.

1 comment:

  1. it was a QLD SU classic in the late 80's. i always liked the contrast between line 1 and 2
    CL

    ReplyDelete