Tuesday, September 29, 2009

sad

I have 2 grandparents very ill at the moment.

My grandmother (dad's mum) fell over last week and broke her hip, a leg and her right wrist in 3 places. At 92, recovery from a fall like this is no small thing. They didn't expect her to survive the surgery, but she is a tough old bird and did. But where to from here?

My grandfather (on my mum's side) is 98. He has developed heart problems for the first time in his life. The doctors have found a benign tumor on his heart but don't think that's what's causing his troubles. He is puffed all the time and has heaps of fluid around his heart. My sister (a surgeon) flew down to see if she could work out what's going on. She says it doesn't look good. My grandmother (his wife) is also frail and worried about him.

I've been blessed to have known and still have 3 out of 4 of my grandparents. But I think there's not much time left for them.

I'm sick of funerals. Death has been a far too present reality this year and I don't want any more of it. I feel tired and emotional. Look at me sympathetically and I will cry.

7 comments:

  1. It's sad when you hate for anyone to be nice to you because it makes you cry. 10 years ago, I had 5 grandparents & great-grandparents (& 7 if you count step-grandparents). Now I only have 1, my maternal grandmother.

    It is one of the big reasons I hate getting older, every one else is getting older too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Christi and welcome to my blog. Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you are going through such a tough time. I will pray fr you, and for those around you who are so unwell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simone, really sorry to hear about your grandparents. What a tough year it has been for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have prayed for you...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, so do we tell you to buck up instead? :-s

    No, I know how you feel - like the last thing you want is for people to notice how sad you look and ask how they can help because that will just set you off again.

    ReplyDelete