Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Overcome by my own administrative awesomeness.

GTD? Who needs it!

My systems at work this year are incredible. So far I haven't lost anything. I should write a book.

I teach 13 different classes across 4 year levels. And run some extra-curricula stuff. How do you imagine that I manage all the planning, paperwork, marking, records etc for all of these classes and activities? Let me tell you.

For each year level that requires paper (not little kids) I have 2 displays folders. One is called 'stuff I've given out - masters' and the other is called 'stuff I've given out - copies'. In the masters folder I keep two copies of everything (just in case) and in the copies folder I put the handouts before I've given them to the kids and then any leftovers after I've distributed them. In the back of the copies folder I put completed work that I'm marking. I also have a clipboard holding a printed copy of my e-markbook. I write on it during the day then transfer stuff to my computer during staff meeting in the afternoon.

Tonight I've finished making my junior choir name tags. We start rehearsing at 7.45am and school starts at 8.20 so there is no time to waste marking 60 names off a roll. Instead, the kids collect a name tag as they walk into the room. I gather up the name tags that aren't collected and mark those kids absent on my choir roll during staff meeting after school. Magic.

I am almost overcome by my administrative awesomeness. My system last year was reasonably effective* but this year's is beyond anything I've seen done before. For a small sum I can tell you the best type of display folders to use. Or you may prefer to wait for my book.


 The folder of doom contained every piece of paper/piece of choir music/confiscated love letter that I had collected/copied/handed out over the year. If kids lost anything, they had to search through the folder of doom to find a copy. 

6 comments:

  1. Hee hee. Yes, have been reading all those posts by people setting up their schedules and routines and lists and whatever for the coming year and wondering what planet those people come from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know Simone. This sounds a lot like GTD to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But it's not. It's a better system called BAAAS (Be as awesome as Simone.)

      Delete
  3. It sounds great...will we be having an evaluation at the end of Term 1 to see how it stacks up over the long term?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, no system that I've ever used has worked for more than a couple of weeks. So we'll see.

      Delete
    2. Well, I was inspired by your post to go out and buy a display folder for my administrative needs at work this semester.... now I need to control the amount of paper that ends up in it!

      Delete