Monday, May 3, 2010

home alone

 My family has been gone since Saturday morning.  They got back at about 3.30 this afternoon (54.5 hours after leaving!)  It was great to have the opportunity to miss them. 

I packed what I thought were the right number of clothes.  70% of them came back clean.  The clothes that all four of them wore over the 2.5 days fitted easily into one plastic bag but I think it may take three washes to have them clean again.  The soap and the toothbrushes all look to be in pretty much the same condition as I sent them.

But this is why it was a dad's and kids' camping trip.  My insistence on basic hygiene and nutrition would have been annoying to everyone.

While the boys were away, I:
  • did 3 classes at the gym and one boxing session at home
  • had dinner with a friend
  • bought new clothes
  • bought a new poetry book I've wanted for a while
  • sat in sizzler by myself for 3.5 hours
  • cleaned the house and washed all the linen
  • went to church
  • had my little friend Cate over to stay.  We watched Dr. Who and ate popcorn, went out for breakfast, went to the movies, took the dog for a walk and baked gingerbread men.
A great weekend.  Dad's can I recommend camping as a good way of bonding with your children?  The longer the trip, the better!

4 comments:

  1. Our kids love their camping/bush walking trips with Dad. Peter tries to take them at least twice a year. It is only overnight at the moment because they are young, but they are all well and truely tired by the time they get home. I have also done a girls only camping trip with Joanna once, will have to wait until Naomi is a bit older before I do it again - maybe next summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. Your husband sounds like a good bloke to me. Soap and toothbrushing while camping? Bah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew is great. He went with a few other guys from church and their kids. Easier that way.

    ReplyDelete