Sunday, March 21, 2010

top 5 things I love about blogging

1.  The community of blogdom.
Blogging is not just about writing, it's about being part of a community.  There are a number of blogs that I read every day.  I go hang with these guys in their rumpus rooms. Some of them drink coffee.  I chat with them as I sip my pepsi max or sprite zero.  Sometimes I just go and listen.  They make me laugh.  They make me think.  I see the world through their eyes and am changed by them.  Sometimes they come over to my place.  This really cool.  (Until they dis my slow cooker!)
 
2.  Blogging helps me think.
I don't know how much I know or don't know a topic till I've tried to express it.  Talking to myself is dull.  Blogging gives me an opportunity to put my ideas into words and have them read, critiqued, and sharpened by others.  I didn't know the exact purpose of the slow cooker till our discussion on Thursday.

3.  Blogging helps me write.
Most of us learn by doing.  If I was teaching high school English, I'd make my kids blog each day. Blogging is a great training ground in written expression.  It gives us a reason to write and a platform to publish what we've written.  If you do it enough you'll find your voice.

4.  Blogging, as a medium, works for me.
It's immediate.  It's interactive.  It's technically easy.  What's not to like?


5.  Through blogging, I occasionally say something worth saying.
I think the world is a richer place now that we've had this discussion.

How about you? What do you like about blogging?

7 comments:

  1. Yes to all of those!

    It helps me to stay mentally active (i.e. not bored) as I spend time during my (sometimes tedious) days thinking about what I can write - number 3, I guess.

    It gives me an outlet. As a talkative extrovert I need a venue to output into. There are not always people available to receive this, so my blog receives, uncomplainingly!

    It gives people an insight into our 'on the edge of ordinary' lives. As someone who lives somewhat in the public eye, I want to debunk the rumour that missionaries are super-Christians. This is an easy forum to do that in.

    Interacting with other bloggers and reading about their thoughts and lives helps me to sharpen my own walk with the Lord. I like your blog, Simone, because you put out thoughtful stuff (sometimes) and are honest (at least it seems so, aren't you?).

    There's just a few reasons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with all you've said.

    It certainly sharpens my thinking. And seeing as I live a long way from the centre of the evangelical universe, blogging keeps me in contact with people who know lots more than me and who challenge my inconsistent worldview.

    Also, at times when I'm lonely, it's heart warming to know that someone is sitting with my words in front of them and that they are thinking about what I'm thinking about. If they comment it means a lot and I never take in for granted.

    It also toughens me up. And there have been times when I've been corrected/rebuked. And that's been good for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, yes, yes!

    I started blogging initially for the love of writing and to awaken my slowly atrophying mind. And these things remain true. But it is your point #1 that has been an added bonus. It is great to be a part of our blogging community. It's such a great place to hang out. I think we must plan for a gathering of the community at some stage. I was trying to thing what would be central - might have to be Alice Springs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. C.S. Lewis said - 'we read to know we are not alone'. I blog to know I'm not alone. (And by 'blog' I mean both reading and writing.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely. And even more so when I am overseas and feel more alone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great list. I'm especially with you on point 1.

    ReplyDelete