Thursday, March 25, 2010

comparison = envy

This is right, isn't it?

I wonder if envy our biggest challenge as christian women (and men too).  We are always looking at one another's children, homes, skill-set or whatever and feeling either proud because we're winning (though we'd not call it that - we'd rather say we're content with our lot!) or envious because we're losing (though we wouldn't call it that either - we'd say we're discouraged or depressed or even 'discontent' would sound better!)  Content is the opposite of envy, but contentment is worth nothing when we're winning.  Just like my kids' doing what they are told doesn't really count as the virtue of obedience if I'm telling them to do something they want to do - like go and play on the computer.

Contentment kicks in when I look at my more accomplished, prettier, richer and happier sister and am genuinely happy for her and satisfied with my own lot.

3 comments:

  1. We can use another word: covetousness - a more old fashioned word, but it cuts to the chase. And yes we love to relabel our sin to sound more acceptable. Contentment sounds much better than pride!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are all prone to envy & self-pity, yes, but I guess I would want to make the pastoral point that if someone is dealing with real need or real loss, it can be very hard to deal with the comparative ease of other peoples' lives. This is not the situation you are talking about, but I can genuinely rejoice in someone else's happiness at the same time as it exacerbates my own sense of loss.and in a more extreme example, when the African mother whose child died of starvation looks at a wealthy western family, is she meant to feel content? Or is righteous anger a more appropriate response? I say this because I was a bit uncomfortable with the dismissal of sympathy and understanding in the post you linked to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah. You are right, Jo. I read it thinking about the silly little things we are envious of - appearance, wealth, gifts, intelligent and easy kids... Not about the real injustices and tragedies of life.

    ReplyDelete