So says the study.
Not surprising, really.
1. At church, food is always around. There's great homemade goodies at every event. To not eat cake and bikkies takes heaps of self control.
2. Eating together is such a social thing. To sip your water while everyone is having a lamington feels wrong.
3. At church we try not to judge each other by how we look, so the pressure to be supermodel thin is off a little.
4. We believe that this life and this body isn't all there is. So we relax more about our health now.
5. Obesity tends to be a community thing. The fatter our friends are, the fatter we let ourselves get. In a group like a church, obesity can spread.
What to do about it?
1. If you're rostered on for church or bible study morning tea or supper, leave out 70% of the junk you usually bring. Carrot and cucumber sticks instead.
2. Decide before a church event how much you need to eat and pace yourself.
3. Sometimes I kid myself that baking is a virtuous activity. Really, it's just an excuse to nibble on choc chips and lick the beaters.
But who cares anyway? On average, we still live longer!