Sunday, April 26, 2009

Um...

I've written quite a few frustrated posts about a song that has given me trouble. I've described it as dumb and stupid and have condemned all theological words, particularly those with 4 or 5 syllables. The particular lyric is now finished (after around 15 re-writes) and I'm pleased with it. The offending words which I pulled out a couple of weeks ago, have been put back in. And I like it. It seems that not only is it unstupid now, but it actually might even be good.

Pretty soon I'll be erasing (or disguising) all the posts I wrote about this particular song. What I thought were it's most offensive words may turn out to be the title of the cd!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Simone...and continuing with your title: um...

    I was thinking about this, and wanted to say, don't do it! I can't see what it gains to erase your tracks, but keeping them there says lots about the integrity of the song writing process, and for anybody interested enough to track them down, I think it's a good, honest witness to what you've done.

    Of course, I might know nothing, or at least, not the thing that matters, but thought I'd throw my 2 cents in - hope you don't mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anthony, I like your two cents worth.

    What I'd hate is if someone is looking for info on the cd or reviews or whatever, and they google the cd title and a post from this blog comes up at the top of the list (which is likely for the first little while at least) and it is me ranting about how stupid and unworkable the phrase is. Not such good advertising.

    What I might do is abbreviate the phrase somehow so it doesn't come up in a search... but it can still be found if anyone follows my 'songwriting' threads.

    How does that sound?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, that passes my 2 cent test ;-)

    I once had a friend write a song that included 'propitiation'. The rest of the line could only fit in three more syllables! (Jesus, my p'n, to save you wondering)

    ReplyDelete