Wednesday, April 8, 2009

perfectionists and starters again

My perfectionist and starters posts a few posts down may have been offensive to perfectionists out there. Sorry if it was unhelpful. It wasn't meant to be.

As a starter I often feel inadequate for not being a perfectionist. For not having the patience to sit down with a piece of music till I can play it 100%, for not finding joy in completely finishing tasks... The post was meant as a celebration of me being me and not having to be what others more naturally are.

I think perfectionists are wonderful people. Most of my closest friends are perfectionists. I spend much of my life envying them. If you are a perfectionist, I probably envy you. I envy your thoughtfully researched, insightful and well written blog posts. I envy your full pantries (I'm about to make my daily visit to the shops!), your organised linen cupboard, your paperwork abilities... and most other things. And I wish I could play the piano like you.

4 comments:

  1. I had another look at my comment on your earlier post - I hope I didn't offend either perfectionists or starters! And I certainly thought you made it pretty clear in your first post that there was plenty of room in the world for perfectionists (and starters)!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. not at all. But do you post at 7am?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, ooh, does this mean that I write "thoughtfully researched, insightful and well written blog posts" or just that I'm a latent "starter"? I have several draft entries waiting for time to be written. :-P

    You too can be organised - or at least more organised than you currently are and enough to make you happy (and that's what matters, after all it's no skin off my nose if your linen cupboard looks like a rats' nest - not saying it is, mind you - how would I know?...but I digress). Just get yourself a copy of Cynthia Townley-Ewer's book "Cut the Clutter" and put a few of the tips into practise.

    We now do meal planning. As the main cook, Ian thinks it's great - I'm less likely to say, "I don't know" to the "What do you want for dinner?" question and I'm more likely to cook; I like that we waste less food. :-)

    I'm yet to give away (http://laetitiabm.blogspot.com/2008/10/cutting-clutter.html) my copy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You could put a different spin on shopping everyday - you're getting the freshest ingredients!! In Japan is it normal to shop daily. Even the trolleys are small. I'm trying to shop twice a week at the moment, but the trolley only just bears it. And people always give me funny glances.

    By the way, meal planning is a way of keeping control of your budget, we started ages ago when we had a few too many debts and have been doing it ever since (now no debts, though).

    ReplyDelete