Monday, September 3, 2012

Nothing is ordinary any more

We are planning a little christmas pageant for the kids at church. We'll have some older kids helping out with the bigger parts, but we want to make it so there's a part for everyone - especially the 3 year old play groupers. We've chosen to shape the pagaent around the theme of ordinary to extraordinary. ie. Mary was home doing ordinary things when something extraordinary happened....

We'll use a lot of normal play schoolish songs (This is the way we hang the washing, Ba ba black sheep etc) and a carol, but I want to have one on-theme original song. This is what I'm working on. It could be sung by Mary, a chief shepherd and a chorus.

Thoughts?

Nothing Is Ordinary Anymore

1. It’s just an ordinary day
And I am an ordinary girl.
I wake up, I find clothes to wear
in my ordinary world.

It’s just an ordinary day
And I am an ordinary girl.
I get dressed and I brush my hair
There’s nothing special in the air,
Just living in my ordinary world

PRE-CHORUS:
But what if the extraordinary
Bursts into the ordinary?
What if skies explode and sing with joy?
What if dreams from ages past
All come true, and God, at last,
Enters our world, is born, a baby boy?

CHORUS:
Jesus has come
Haven’t you heard?
This is no ordinary world
For Jesus lived here
He made this earth his home.
Jesus has come
Haven’t you heard?
This is no ordinary world
And nothing here is ordinary
Any more.

2. I’m just an ordinary boy
And this is an ordinary day.
I watch the sheep roam through the fields
in an ordinary way.

I’m just an ordinary boy
And this is an ordinary day.
I feel the wind blow through my hair
There’s nothing special in the air,
Just living in my ordinary way.

sar 2012

4 comments:

  1. Curiously, I just finished watching the final episode of Studio 60 which, as all final eps of Sorkin shows are, was titled 'What Kind of Day Has it Been?'

    I think it's a sign!

    Ok, I'll bite. Nice idea. But I think you'll be unhappy to use 'hair' twice, and the blow-dried shepherd boy image doesn't work for me. 'Haven't a care', 'weather is fair', 'hope I don't run into a bear'...there must be something that works better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like the idea behind the song. Had a giggle at Anthony's comment on the hair thing. Good point.

    Is this something you would envisage the three year olds actually singing along with during the chorus? I ask because I don't think my just-turned-three year old can say the word "ordinary" yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A really good theme and idea, and the feel is already clear. I like it.
    The only (slight) quibble would be rhyming 'extraordinary' with 'ordinary' - but not totally sure how to avoid it in saying what you want to (maybe saying something about the 'extra' bursting into the ordinary, which makes it 'extraordinary'.. does changing the order help the rhyme work better?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments. Keep 'em coming!

    Karen - This would be a feature song from the older kids. The littlies can join in if they want, but their job will be to provide cute and nursery rhymes. They will be a swarm of angels, sheep, barnyard animals and wise men.

    Anthony and Karen - I did the hair thing intentionally. I wanted vs 1 + 2 as similar as possible. I may change it along the track.

    Findo - I like the 'extraordinary / ordinary' rhyme. Wait and see!

    I have a tune in my head but I like philip's tunes better so I'll see what he comes up with.

    ReplyDelete