Sunday, May 24, 2009

What do we do with wanting?

All of us want things we don't have. It's the post-fall human condition.

We want a house, a better house, another house, a man, a better man, another man, a child, more children, better children, a skinnier body, a prettier face, longer legs, more clothes, a different personality, a better job, excitement, cake, change, novelty, stability, friends, understanding, connection, fulfillment, accomplishment, respect, freedom, space, time, security.... and we can't have them.

Discontent and frustration are part of life in this world. So how do we handle unfulfilled and unfulfillable desires?

What do we do with wanting?

[I'm keen to hear your ideas. I might write mine in a few posts over the coming days.]

3 comments:

  1. Recently I realised that wanting new stuff is not bad - it is a shadow of our desires for a perfect world, what we were originally made for. But, because we cannot have heaven yet, we have to put our eyes on Jesus (and heaven) and put our longings there too. We can also ask God to give us contentment amidst our difficulties. It is amazing how contented you can be with small things if you rely on God to supply your needs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to learn the lesson over and over again. The cycle goes like this:

    I feel the gnaw of discontent, try and fill it with something other than God, am denied whatever it is. I chuck a little emotional tanty towards God and wail "why can't I have what I want?" When that fails and I feel worse than ever, I remember that God has always provided everything I need, have a bit of a facepalm moment, resolve not to be suckered in by that want want want next time and...well, you know the rest.

    I thank God he's so patient! I take a long time to learn simple lessons. But every time he brings me back to himself I am awestruck by how much he loves me. It doesn't make the want for stuff or relationships or whatever disappear, but maybe it means that the time between those rebellious thoughts and me turning back to him gets shorter on each occasion.

    Or maybe not...did you say cake?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Become a Buddhist, they're all about not wanting.

    I like what Wendy said though - in the serious scheme of things - I don't think wanting is wrong, coveting is.

    I want a house to live in next year, I covet a house with bench space big enough for my coffee machine. The two are intrinsically different. Somehow.

    ReplyDelete