Sunday, May 17, 2009

names

From my teaching experience, I'm compiling a list of names that parents shouldn't use. Children with certain (dumb) names find it unusually difficult to behave in class. A couple of weeks ago I told you about an unfortunate girl given the singular form of this product* as a name. The name was such a burden on her that appropriate behaviour had become an impossibility. Similarly, a child by the name of D*e*e*-*o*n. That's right. Not Dion, but D*e*e*-*o*n. (Go the hyphen!) With such stupid spelling, how could one not take on correspondingly stupid behaviour?

Parent, parent, parents. Please. Consider your children. Consider their teachers. Consider their classmates. Be sensible.

* I'm using the stars and the link in case the unfortunate children google themselves.

3 comments:

  1. You will love this site then: http://www.notwithoutmyhandbag.com/babynames/

    ReplyDelete
  2. (it's alternately hilarious and horrifying)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree! Bec, thanks for that link. It kept me amused for a long time.

    ReplyDelete