1. However good the teacher, kids won't learn school stuff if they're not at school. Absenteeism is an issue that has to be addressed.
2. The first hour of the school day is the most important for little kids. A lot of at-risk kids are chronically late for school. It takes some management skills to get the family out the door in the morning. If the parents don't have themselves together, they will not make the school bell. If a prep child is half an hour late each day, he or she will miss the majority of the literacy teaching.
3. If kids come to school without having had a proper breakfast, their learning will be compromised. The teacher has no control over this.
4. Some parents really want to do a good job, but have very little idea how to. If schools are to help these parents, they will need to be resourced for this.
5. There is no excuse ever for dropping music out of the curriculum to fund something else (however good.) Don't even think of it!