Monday, September 26, 2011

Back from Rockhampton

It's been a full few days. The boys and I have been staying with my sister and her 4 kids (including one of my 3 new nephews - Edmund). It's school holidays and Dance Eisteddfod week. I've learnt a lot.

Jenny and others have blogged on the Tiger Mother book? Tiger Mum? Whatever. This week I've been introduced to the Ballet Mum thing. Oh. My. Goodness. If you don't live in that world, you have no idea. One week. Two ballet kids. Four individual performances. One group performance (both kids in the same group. Phew!) Two thousand dollars worth of costumes. Six make up sessions. Private lessons. Practice, practice, practice...

It was actually kind of fun. The kids (my niece (age 6) and nephew (aged 5)) performed really well. I got to wait with them backstage before their performances. I'll post some mobile phone pics soon.

Interesting opportunity to reflect on what matters to us in bringing up our kids. Also interesting that amidst all this that our kids were desperate to get to church last night. We couldn't go in the morning because of ballet and the church we go to in Rocky has moved it's night service to the uni... Even so they were keen to go. So was I.

3 comments:

  1. There will be no ballet in our house. I did it when I was little and am still traumatised.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ballet probably skips a generation. We could never afford it as kids. So Nicole is living out her dancer dreams on her kids. They, in turn, will be traumatised and won't inflict it on their kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, if you haven't seen the movie Razzle Dazzle you need to get a hold of it... right on this theme. It's great... and you have to make sure you watch right through until after the credits.

    By the way, Charlotte won primera Reina at her dance class today (but I don't think it had much to do with dance ability)

    ReplyDelete