Thursday, February 25, 2010

work

Yesterday I yelled at my kids for most of the day. This particular class need seatbelt locks on their chairs and gaffa tape across their mouths. I didn't let them get drinks or go to the toilet (unless I thought their need was actually desperate) and I insisted that they work. One girl who had been particularly annoying, summed up the class' attitude. When I asked her to stop moving around the room wasting time and to sit and work, she said, "But... I... don't... want... to!" What a shame!

Surely such a class would be glad to see the back of me at the end of the day. Surely I would happily shut the door on them. No. They said they wanted me to come back soon ("When will you teach us again?") and I was hoping for a call back today.

The phone just rang. I'm going in.

3 comments:

  1. lol

    Are you a sucker for punishment or is there something specific you're hoping to achieve (apart from the money) such as self-discipline in children?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today I didn't yelled as much as yesterday - but still quite a lot.

    We learnt the 4x table. Spent half the day on it (literally half the day - 2.5 hours!) Most of them had it by the end.

    I like the kids. They are space cadets, but I know them well enough to feel affection as well as frustration.

    ReplyDelete