Thursday, February 11, 2010

Valentine's Day Is Coming!

And with it, a truckload of delightfully shallow love poems!

Obsessive, adolescent schmultz is just good fun.  It's worth having this hallmark celebration, if only for an excuse to read and write frothy nonsense.  So I intend to.  In the next few days I'll be posting a pile of romantic poems.  All light, all fun, some bitter, some nasty.  My favourite is a brilliantly cutting sms valentine's day verse by Sophie Hannah.  Look out for it and others.

For Andrew, I tried writing something a bit more real.  Alas, married love is much trickier to capture.  There are so many more layers of complexity.  I posted my attempt (click here or just scroll down about 2cm to the next post).

Happy Valentine's Day to all of you.  Whatever that means.

2 comments:

  1. In America Valentines is about everyone giving love to everyone else. It took us by surprise at the American-dominated international school where my husband works. Quite over the top.
    Then the other day I had to critique an American lady's writing about things you can do on Valentines Day - I felt quite out of my depth!

    ReplyDelete