Sunday, December 27, 2009

the perfect choc chip cookies


After a couple of months of trial and error and armed with my new digital kitchen scales, I have made the recipe for the perfect choc chip cookies.

I started with the 1:2:3 (sugar:fat:flour) ratio found in this book.  This ratio makes a shortbread-like cookie.  I prefer my cookies less like shortbread, softer and... just different, so I fiddled with the ratio.  I think my adjusted ratio makes a better cookie than the best recipe I've found before.

Here's what I did.

I started with 1:2:3 - 250g:500g:750g ratio, then upped the sugar, lessened the flour and added an egg white.

So, cream together 300g sugar and 500g butter.  Throw in a teaspoon of vanilla essence and an egg white and keep beating.  Fold in 650g flour and a big packet of choc chips (375g).  Roll into balls, flatten onto lined tray, bake for 10ish minutes at 180C.  Easy.  Yum.

9 comments:

  1. Have you tried to make anything else using the ratios in the book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made stock last night from left over chicken. I've also made some cakes and some things from the 'custard continum' chapter. I love the book. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's on my 'wanted' list. So often in Japan we don't have all the ingredients for a recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you have butter, sugar, eggs, flour and milk you can make most of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't do weighing dry ingredients. I'll have to convert and see how close it comes to my best recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's almost exactly the same. Try putting half/half white and brown sugar. I love the book it came out of - Women's Weekly all-time favourite cakes and biscuits.

    And - ahem - WHY are they cookies and not biscuits?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I changed the from biscuit to cookie half way through writing.

    I'm in a crisis as to what is a 'biscuit' at the moment. In the book, a biscuit is something quite different.

    ReplyDelete
  8. biscuit = 3:1:2 = flour:fat:liquid

    Rub butter into flour. Add milk. Press into tin. wrap in plastic. Fridge. Unwrap, dust with flour, roll out, fold into thirds, roll out again. Wrap and fridge. Roll, fold, roll again, fridge. Roll out half inch thick, cut into squares, bake 20-30 minutes.

    Can you guess what a 'biscuit' is from that? I'm imagining a puff pastry stack.

    ReplyDelete