Monday, December 21, 2009

A Few Short Years

This is the age of waiting,
This is the age of pain,
Of empty arms and weary hearts
and longing for Christ's reign.
Another age is coming
“Come Christ our Lord,” we pray
Just a few more years
A few short years away.

The fight will soon be over
Our troubles soon will cease
Christ will come, make all things new
And we will live in peace.
But now we stand in battle,
Until that better day,
Just a few more years,
A few short years away.

Hold on, he is coming
Christ our saviour.
Hold on, he is coming.
Jesus come!

Christ our Lord has risen
Glorious, radiant son!
guilt atoned and wrath appeased
The fight with death is won.
For Christ has sin defeated,
We'll see its final day,
Just a few more years,
A few short years away.

sar 2009

3 comments:

  1. Oooh - nice. Being a musical illiterate (let me reassure you, I do know the letters A-G, but there's no real word for utter lack of talent here), I often struggle to figure out how one of your poems will turn into song, but this one seems easier. Go Phil go!

    Reminds me a little of the other Simone (Buchanan) - 'That Day', recycling Bonar's hymn. Which is no bad thing! But yours has a corporate dimension that the other is largely missing, which seems a significant improvement. It's a topic that begs for the 'we're all in this, let's go' exhortation treatment!

    So I like it - but if you wanted some feedback, then I'd probably go after 'hold on' - is this too negative? Not 'stand firm'? Or even 'hold fast'? Or, for the sake of completeness, 'stand fast'...!

    But regardless I look forward to hearing this one :) Thankyou!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anthony. I think you mean Ruth Buchanan. I love that Bonar hymn.

    Chorus will probably change when P gets to it. Hard to independently write a chorus lyric. I wanted its take home message to be don't give up and give in to sin now - the finish line is just up ahead. I'll rethink how I'll do this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops. I did. Now my Henderson Kids past is exposed.

    Speaking of needing entertainment...

    ReplyDelete