Wednesday, December 23, 2009

I need more theology...

... if I'm going to come up with anything even remotely fresh.

As I've noted before, for congregational songwriting you need to think theologically not exegetically. Think exegesis and you'll come up with either a scripture in song ditty or a more significant song that a church might want to use once a decade. Neither are commercially viable.

But my doctrine tank is running low. Can anyone recommend something for me to read or listen to?

5 comments:

  1. Tom Wright's 'Surprised by Hope'.
    Tim Chester's 'The Ordinary Hero'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim Keller's 'Prodigal God' isn't what you'd call 'thick', but it teaches some weighty theological truths about the love of God

    ReplyDelete
  3. excellent! I've made a shopping list and may hit K-mart later today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're stocking Volf in K-Mart now? How things have changed in two short years!

    ReplyDelete