Monday, August 18, 2008

these black flowers

This poem was inspired by this review which I think Nicole linked to.

















these black flowers

like an alcoholic escaping into the bottle, we escape into our sin

these black flowers I tend
flourish.
in summer heat,
in winter frosts,
they blossom.
watered, carefully
nurtured.

there's comfort in the fragrance
of death.
memories of
the old life
unforgotten.
there's grief in leaving

black flowers
remember.

I pick a bunch for the
table.
see them bare, exposed!
my friends retch.
I stand appalled
run
pick in hand
strike by strike
uproot my beauties.

every one.

almost.

these black flowers I tend
flourish.
in summer heat,
in winter frosts,
they blossom.

sar 2008

3 comments:

  1. hi Simone,

    Have been enjoying your poetic efforts - keep it up!
    I just wanted to let you know that by strange coincidence I got interviewed on (regional) ABC radio today to explain the difference between the UK, Great Britain and its various parts... Nathan is apparently a trend-setter! Unfortunately I have no way of getting a copy of the interview for him (or perhaps fortunately because I think I sounded a bit quavery and breathless!). But anyhow I'm all studied up on that particular topic at present. Their interest was sparked by the fact that the UK competes as a whole at the Olympics but as separate countries at the Commonwealth Games....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - you're a radio star! How did you get that gig? Did they just ring a random historian for an interview?

    As we speak, Nathan is tracing various historical maps of Great Britain. We might call to benefit from your study...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bizarrely, if you go on to the 'Find an Expert' section of the U of M website and enter the search term 'British History', my name pops up. This is an indictment of the state of British history here, but nevermind... it meant I was continually referred to as 'British history expert' throughout the interview. Hee hee.
    I'm not sure how successful my explanation was - at the end of the interview, the host still seemed to think Ireland was part of the UK...

    ReplyDelete