Wednesday, August 6, 2008

our humanity and our sin

I spent Saturday at MYC Lite (an afes supporters day) hearing talks about the incarnation and the difference it makes. Tony Rowbotham (one of the speakers) argued that Christ's incarnation teaches us that our humaness matters - and we should embrace it. Those who love football should spend time loving football. It's okay. Those who like to surf, let them surf! Let those who dance, dance! Let those who write, write! Our personalities are part of our humanity and God does not ask us to leave them behind when we become believers.

What Tony said was welcome and compelling but left me with a couple of questions. While our humanity is something that we shouldn't aim to put aside, our sin is. And in my experience the two are fairly tricky to separate. What about when surfing or football become an obsession? Or in my case, what if I want to use poetry to give expression to things which shouldn't be expressed?

For the last few weeks I've been pondering whether or not to write a particular poem. Back here I decided not to write it. Then I changed my mind. Then I changed my mind again. Saturday's talk motivated me to finish it. I posted it here. It ended up as probably the most overtly christian poem I've written yet. It's quite different from how it began - more hope and less angst.

Anyone else have trouble separating out personality/humanity and sin?

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I find that a real struggle. How much is what God has given me to make me uniquely me, and how much is me just being wrapped up in my own human side.

    By the way, many years ago, a young catachist at my parents church was really instrumental in helping me become a Christian-- his name was Tony Rowbotham, so I guess it's probably the same guy...cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, the same one. Tony is a legend. I sent him the link to this post... Small world!

    ReplyDelete