Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Favourite Hymn Writers 1: George Matheson

George Matheson (1842-1906) was a Scottish (Presbyterian!) Minister and hymn writer. He was a very good preacher and able pastor, though almost completely blind. He grew up a Calvinist but was greatly influenced by liberal German theology. His hymns, though, are great. My favourite is 'Make Me A Captive, Lord'. I love how it speaks about the apparent contradictions of faith: I am more free when enslaved to Christ, more myself when I submit my will to him, stronger when in weakness I depend on him.

Make Me A Captive, Lord

Make me a captive, Lord,
And then I shall be free.
Force me to render up my sword,
And I shall conqueror be.
I sink in life’s alarms
When by myself I stand;
Imprison me within Thine arms,
And strong shall be my hand.


My heart is weak and poor
Until it master find;
It has no spring of action sure,
It varies with the wind.
It cannot freely move
Till Thou has wrought its chain;
Enslave it with Thy matchless love,
And deathless it shall reign.


My power is faint and low
Till I have learned to serve;
It lacks the needed fire to glow,
It lacks the breeze to nerve.
It cannot drive the world
Until itself be driven;
Its flag can only be unfurled
When Thou shalt breathe from heaven.


My will is not my own
Till Thou hast made it Thine;
If it would reach a monarch’s throne,
It must its crown resign.
It only stands unbent
Amid the clashing strife,
When on Thy bosom it has leant,
And found in Thee its life.

George Matheson

UPDATE: If you want to know more about GM, look here.

No comments:

Post a Comment