We drove up on Sunday with our friends Chris and Josh. We had 2 cars and Chris helped with the driving. Andrew and Joel left from Brisbane and the rest of us left from Murwillumbah in northern NSW. It was a little stressy at first when the car wouldn't start at the servo just outside of M'bah. It seems that the starter motor has gone. We decided to risk driving it to Cairns anyway - we had to push start it every time we switched it off. Thankfully we made it.
Chris has just left. Saying goodbye to him felt like the end of our SEQld lives. Tomorrow will be hard for the kids as they say goodbye to Josh.
1. Cairns is beautiful. It's green and lush with lovely breezes. The mountains are gorgeous. (Sorry Nathan, in terms of natural beauty Townsville doesn't come close.)
2. We drove north on a particularly hot day (40+ in Brisbane) so Cairns has been a cool change. The temps here are generally 25-33 which it very manageable. Last night I had to turn the fan down. AC hasn't really been needed much yet. I'll probably regret saying it, but I like the feeling of nice moist air. When we were in Melbourne, the thin dry air hurt my chest when I ran.
3. Our house should work well. Last night we sat and talked with our feet in the pool. It was idyllic. Our back patio is also great.
4. We've been on 'holidays' for a month now and are all exhausted. I'm feeling strange and longing to find a rhythm for life again. Sleep is a bit elusive. I can't get my head around having left our old church. I want to know how Christmas went for people and if Karen's had her baby yet. I want Tash to pop in for afternoon tea.
5. Moving sucks. Not in any hurry to do it again but at the same time can't handle the thought of living so far away forever.