Wednesday, November 25, 2009

what is the most real?

This world or the next?

The difference between the old Narnia and the new Narnia was like that. The new one was a deeper country: every rock and flower and blade of grass looked as if it meant more. I can't describe it any better than that: if ever you get there you will know what I mean.

It was the Unicorn who summed up what everyone was feeling. He stamped his right fore-hoof on the ground and neighed, and then he cried:

"I have come home at last! This is my real country! I belong here. This is the land I have been looking for all my life, though I never knew it till now. The reason why we loved the old Narnia is that it sometimes looked a little like this. Bree-hee-hee! Come further up, come further in!"

C.S. Lewis, The Last Battle.

1 comment:

  1. Or is that a false dichotomy? This is where I think Lewis' metaphor, beautiful as it is, owes too much to Plato. But gee, it's hard to criticise The Last Battle...

    ReplyDelete