Wednesday, November 18, 2009

top 5 annoying things about today's adventure in lyric writing

1. I read 6 chapters of bible before I started.  Always a good thing.  Lots of interesting stuff.  I never expect that what I read just before I write will end up in my lyrics, but always hope it might... (There are some particularly cool verses in John 1-3 an Habbakuk.) I spent the first half hour mining the chapters for verses with poetic potential then gave it up.  Unless you want to write a scripture-in-song type ditty, you need to think theology, not exegesis.  Exegesis is not commercially viable (because it makes for dumb songs).

2. After 2 hours I had 4 versions of a chorus.  I eventually ditched them all. 

3. After 5 hours I have a chorus and four verses.  But none of it's very good.  Yes, if it were published it would probably be sung occasionally, but no-one would really care about it.  Especially not me.

4. the trochaic meter (dum de dum de) sounds trite.  Or it that just the way I'm saying it?

5. I'm pretty sure P will take one look at it and decide it's not worth pursuing.  I'd do the same.  Oh well, there goes 5 hours.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, it's the stuff you cut out and throw away that makes the stuff you keep so much better...

    ReplyDelete