Tuesday, October 7, 2008

A theological question

Help me out.

Can you spot any problems with this verse?

The lion roars! Oh nations will you heed the warning
Before in judgement stubborn hearts are torn?
For every knee will bow and every tongue will worship
Flee to his side find shelter from the storm.

[from the lion roars (posted below)]

How about line 3? I'm thinking Philippians 2 "...every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord." But can we say that everyone will worship Jesus? I think the line is okay* - since on that last day everyone will have to bow (some under compulsion). Is worship something that one can be forced to do?

I'd make it easier and just change the line to 'confess him', but 'confess' is an ugly word and 'worship' is beautiful...

What do you think? Appreciate ideas. Hoping to debut this song soon. It's already got a tune.

* well I wrote it!

4 comments:

  1. Worship is a contraction effectively of "worthship" - to give someone their due worth.

    I think on the last day, those who didn't acknowledge Jesus in this life will find themselves so overcome by the enormity that they will instinctively fall and confess that he's LORD ("and I've screwed up - gulp!") rather than it being point-of-a-sword type stuff. So in that sense I think that worship is ok.

    And the word "worship" is no nicer to the unsaved than "confess" or "Lord", whereas for us they're all pretty good, so I wouldn't worry on that score.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Laetitia,

    I think on the last day it will be point-of-sword stuff. I can't see any evidence in the bible that people who don't repent now will later.

    I'm afraid I'm a bit shallow about whether words are nice or not. 'Worship' is nice, not because of what it means, but because of the lovely long vowel in the middle and its soft consonant sounds!

    Thanks for your ideas.

    s

    ReplyDelete
  3. acknowledge says the right thing, but again, an ugly word.

    s

    ReplyDelete