So, for the last 48 hours I've been driving an 8 seater bus around Melbourne. I specialise in the Kew-Airport run, the Balwyn - City run, and the Footscray to Kew run. I've developed an intense relationship with my hired sat-nav.
Melbourne is a different driving experience to Sydney and Brisbane. Five things.
1. There are two types of roads: Freeways (fast but expensive) and tram roads (a challenge to my godliness).
2. Cars aren't a priority on tram roads. The pecking order seems to go: trams, pedestrians, bikes, cars.
3. Melbournians are surprisingly patient about the slowness of travel. Glen Ferrie Road? Yes, I guess it's quite slow. We. Haven't. Moved. For. Five. Minutes!!!
4. If you take a wrong turn in Melbourne, your can recover from it pretty easily. Just do a U turn on a tram line or something.
5. It would be possible to live without a car in Melbourne. More so than B or S anyway.