Tuesday, July 1, 2008

dogs

Let me say right up that I'm not an animal person. When I see a puppy I feel no desire coo over it, touch it, or even to look at it again. If birds became extinct tomorrow I wouldn't care. And cats? Itchy eyes and sneezes. But for the last few weeks I have been spending a ridiculous amount of time surfing the net for the perfect puppy.

For many years we've put it off. But we're putting it off no longer. It's time for dog ownership.

Here's what I'm looking for:
  • a young dog (<3)
  • attractive to look at
  • not smelly
  • not needing a daily walk
  • not needing excessive grooming
  • that can live outside
  • small but not too small
  • with some character
  • interested in people, but happy to be ignored
  • good with the kids
  • not too expensive.
Does such a dog exist? A friend suggested we look in toyworld for one that comes with batteries.

We had an Airedale Terrier when I was a kid. I loved her. (She is the only animal I've ever loved, or even liked.) I can't imagine feeling fond of any dog unless it looked a little like she did. So I've been thinking about Lakeland terriers (similar to airedales - only smaller) but I think it's way beyond our budget.















This is a lakeland terrier.

3 comments:

  1. is it real? it looks stuffed. (I think your kids might notice if it's stuffed...)

    *grin*
    jmb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stuffed ones cost less to feed. And you don't have to have them desexed or vaccinated.

    (But they freak me out.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deary me, Simone, your desires are a bit inconsistent:
    # a young dog (<3)
    # not needing a daily walk
    # that can live outside
    # small but not too small
    You can't have any two of these things in one dog. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete